Wednesday, September 22, 2010

MAC Venemous Villains Collection: My Thoughts and What I Bought

I was invited to an event at MAC where they would be showcasing the products from the new Venemous Villains collection. This collection won't be out until September 30th, but pro members were able to get to see them a week early. This event was craziness! People were literally falling over each other to see the collection and have the MAC mua's try some products on them!

This collection is centered around 4 Disney Villains. I was so excited because in general, the princesses from all the movies are the ones that everything is centered around, and the though villains play big parts in all the movies, they are the bad guys and never really talked much about. The 4 villains are Cruella De Ville (Whom I LOVE from 101/102 Dalmations), Maleficient from Sleeping Beauty, the Evil Queen from Snow White, and Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog. I am really happy about the 4 villains chosen, because they each have different looks in the movies, and make for awesome inspirational makeup products.

First Impressions- When I first saw the collection from afar without really touching anything, I was a little under impressed. I was envisioning really dark, unusual, shades of everything, but what I saw immediately were dupes from the original mac line. 

Opinion Now- Upon touching and playing with the 4 lines within the collection, I felt much better about the line. I loved the bright red lipstick and lipglass in the Cruella De Ville Collection (since that is 100% her from the actual movies!), and the nude lipsticks they had paired with the reds, to offset it. The nudes were unlike any of the other ones that MAC has released in the past, so that might be worth while for someone who is still on the search for the perfect nude lipstick shade. However, when it came to the eyeshadows, De-vil looked almost like an exact dupe for MAC's Coppering e/s (which I love), so that wasn't worth buying for me. Also, Carbon e/s was also re created with new packaging for this line (again something that I didn't care for), and there was also a frosty golden-ish shade with Cruella's line. Aside from the above, there were a few blushes (beauty powder and regular) with this line, that looked promising. 

Maleficient's line of products included mineralize eyeshadows, nail laquer (I got one in the shade Formidable), lipsticks, and lipglasses, as well as blushes. This line played up purples, greens, and light, pale pinks. I loved the colors included in this line, but I have never been a huge fan of mineralize eyeshadows by MAC. Loved the packaging for this line though!

The Evil Queen's line was the line that did not appeal to me at all. It was a mixture of colors from Maleficient's line, with a few new things, but I don't think MAC did a good job figuring out a unified collection for the Evil Queen. 

Dr. Facilier's line was my favorite, with the newest, freshest products from this entire collection. This line showcased something called Magically cool liquid powder, which is a powder that literally feels like water is being applied to your face! Interesting, but the color Cajun looked a bit like MAC's bronze iridescent loose powder. This line also had a lipgele and personally I love those! They're not too sticky, and the color payoff is beautiful. This line also had a few pigments that MAC has in their permanent collection, so I surpassed those as well. 
Bottom Line: Creative packaging, fun idea and great villains, but I wish MAC had put a little more cohesion into each individual villain's line. Some of the colors didnt' seem to make sense with the villain, and too many dupes in this collection! However, the products that were new, were very good. I am really liking the 2 products I bought, look at the pictures below! Also, go to my youtube page TOMORROW (September 23rd) to see my latest haul. Included in the haul are the below 2 products, with a detailed explanation about both!

with some friends at the event, playing around! The MUA's put on the cape and crown of the Evil Queen!

Magically Cool Liquid Powder in the shade Cajun

Nail Lacquer in Formidable

Check out my youtube page (megha8359) to see me talk some more about this collection in my new haul. It will be posted tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. how does the Magically Cool Liquid Powder feel on skin?

    ReplyDelete